Prepare for the update
Before updating Resilio Connect setup, it's worth doing some preparations in advance.
Study the changes in product compared to your current version.
Revise these important notes and change log. Update your configuration if necessary.
Check if you have a custom build in your setup.
If any of your Agents are running a custom version, contact Resilio Support and ensure your customization has been included in the Main Release. Custom Agent's version 3rd or 4th number (if visible) will start with 10000, for example 2.12.10018.
Check system requirements.
This article contains all system requirements valid for latest version. See if changes, if any, affect your setup.
Check free disk space
Ensure your Agents (including Management Console Agent) have enough disk space for the upgrade. The Agent will require as much of free space as its storage folder currently takes. If the Agent has lesser disk space, the upgrade will fail.
Create the backup of the configuration
After making all necessary adjustments to the configuration, create the backup of MC configuration. See here for backup guidelines.
Plan the downtime.
Usually, Management Console is updated quickly within minutes.
The downtime time for the Agents depends on their disk performance and amount of files and folders that the Agent keeps in its jobs' databases. During downtime the Agent need to do the following: backup its storage folder, upgrade the databases (only happens when bypassing the 2.10 or 3.0 version during the update), load databases. For reference:
- Agent with a single job of 1M files may take around 10 minutes to update on SSD storage.
- Agent with a single job of 50M files may take few hours to update on SSD storage
Download binaries and packages for the update
If you are upgrading within the same major version (e.g. from 3.4.0 to 3.4.1), in Management Console, navigate to Setting -> General -> Miscellaneous for the binaries link.
If you are upgrading to a newer version - please contact Resilio Support for the latest version binaries link.
It is recommended to use the same method of updating Agents as they were initially installed. For example, if installed from a linux repository, update it same way via apt or yum. If installed manually with a package (deb, rpm or msi on Windows), update it same way by running the package.
If it's impossible to update an Agent through a package for some reason or you prefer to update Agents using your solution, download raw binaries instead (.exe for windows, tarballs for *nix OSes).
Update Management Console
Management Console must be the first component of Resilio Connect setup to get updated. It's not recommended to update Agents, proxy or any other components before the Management Console.
Follow the Updating Management Console guide for step-by-step instructions for different OSes.
The tracker server running as a part of Management Console bundle will get updated automatically with the Management Console update.
Update Auxiliary servers
If you have any separately installed tracker servers - follow the Updating tracker server guide for step-by-step instructions.
If you are using Resilio proxy - follow Updating Resilio Proxy guide.
After Management Console and auxiliary servers are updated, you can update Agents.
- For small amount of Agents, see this guide to update the Agents manually.
- For larger amount of Agents it makes sense to automate the update using the guide for updating agent via distribution job.
- If your Linux agents were installed using Resilio Repository, you can follow this guide for registering a new repository and updating using Linux package manager.
- If you use your own automation (like Chef, Ansible, etc.) or some customized setup (non-supported NAS vendors or any other device not officially supported) you can update with binary replacement technique.
- For TrueNAS update use TrueNAS update guide.
Update agents with millions of filesAgents that handle millions of files may take significant time to upgrade their DBs upon a first agent startup. As a result you may get an impression that the agent is running but stays not connected to the Management Console, or even see a message from Installer / Service Manager that Agent service cannot start. Do not terminate agent process, be patient.
After the update
If the upgrade was from pre-3.x it is recommended to:
- Re-create your sync jobs to get maximum RAM optimization
- If it's impossible to re-create the job - after all agents were updated set the custom parameter
falseto optimize agent-to-agent communications.