Sometimes it is required to run Resilio Agent under a highly restricted user account for security purposes. Please follow the instructions below depending on target OS:
Note, that all commands for command prompt below require admin privileges.
You can use standard “Local Service” account, although as soon as you grant explicit permissions to Agent to access to some particular folder, all other services running as “Local Service” will get this access, too. Therefore it is preferable to create a separate user to maximize isolation.
- If you already installed Agent, open Services Console (Win+R, services.msc) and stop “Resilio Connect Agent” service. Open admin command prompt, navigate to “C:\Program Files\Resilio Connect Agent” and run command
"Resilio Connect Agent.exe" /SVCDELETE
If Agent is not yet installed, create “C:\Program Files\Resilio Connect Agent” path manually and put the executable there. Ensure that its name is “Resilio Connect Agent.exe” even for x64 bit agent. Put the sync.conf file you got from MC in the same folder.
- Create user “<user_name>” with standard set of user permissions
net user <username> <password> /ADD
or do it manually from Control Panel
- Grant new user permissions to upgrade itself (i.e. write permissions to “C:\Program Files\Resilio Connect Agent” folder)
- Setup Resilio Connect Agent service to run under this user:
Resilio Connect Agent.exe /svcinstall -u %username% %password% -c "\"/config\" \"C:\Program Files\Resilio Connect Agent\sync.conf\"" -a
- Start the service with
net start connectsvc
command or via Services console.
By default, Agent will only have write access to its home folder (C:\Users\<user_name>). You can add access to any other required folders explicitly.
Use packages to get package installed on Linux. Once installed, start Agent using
sudo systemctl enable/start
command and it’ll automatically starts or sets itself to autorun under isolated “rslagent” user. Use POSIX permissions and groups to allow Agent access to folders other than /home/rslagent
- Install Agent normally (i.e. unpack the DMG to Applications). Ensure it is not in launch items for your current user account.
- Get the sync.conf file from your Management Console
- Download this shellscript which is intended to install Agent under separate "resilioagent" account and launch it as daemon, ensure that script has execute permissions:
chmod +x deploy_agent.sh
- Run the script, supplying config file as parameter
From now on, Sync will start with OS X and will not require user to get logged in. It only has limited access to folder, allowed for “resilioagent” user. You can use both POSIX.1 permissions and OS X ACLs to provide access to the user (and to the Agent as a result) to other folders and resources. The Agent itself will deliver files available for reading and writing to everyone due to UMASK = 002. You can see all the parameters (password, umask, etc.) of newly created user inside the script.