Resilio Connect can be used in High-Availability windows cluster setup. Both Resilio components - Agents and the Management Console - can be used. Load-balancing clusters are not supported.
Resilio Connect Agents in two-nodes Windows cluster setup
Resilio Connect Agents shall be installed on each node in the cluster. Windows Server 2012 and higher are supported. Agents shall be running with the configuration file.
On the Management Console, in Settings -> General crate configuration file.
"storage_path": "<path_here>" parameter, where
<path_here> is the folder for Agents to keep their settings. This can be a network share or a cluster disk (mapped by cluster). This path must already exist before starting the Agent. Mind the double backslash (for example, "storage_path":"\\\\Server\\apth to share\\storage"):
"storage_path": "D:\\storage path\\directory"
Once installed, in HA Wizard add a new role "Generic Service" and select the Resilio Connect Agent service.
If a shared storage volume was used as the Agent's
storage_path in config, it can be used on the configuration step.
Step "Replicate Registry Settings" can be skipped. Confirm and save the configuration.
Open the Properties of the configured Role. These parameters generally depend on the actual needs of cluster admin and are not Resilio-related. Generally, it's advisable to set the number of failures to be one less than the number of nodes and the minimum period set as 1 hour.
It's also advisable to choose "Prevent failback" scenario to avoid extra shutdown and startup of the Resilio Agent.
For the selected role to successfully switch between the nodes, the cluster must have a quorum configured. In a two-nodes failover cluster, total number of votes shall be odd, thus a cluster quorum witness shall be configured.
Open the cluster quorum wizard, select "The quorum Witness" and choose "File Share witness" type.
The witness may be a file share that the cluster has read/write access.
Resilio Connect Management Console in two-nodes Windows cluster setup
MC failover can also be supported. Follow the steps below:
- Configure Windows Failover Cluster
- Configure Cluster Shared Volume for Resilio Connect Console application data
- On every node of cluster:
3.1. Install Resilio Connect Console service (without Resilio Connect Tracker).
3.2. Stop Resilio Connect Console service.
3.3. Remove server agent (see here for more details)
3.4. Change Resilio Connect Console service application data path in registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\resilio-connect-server.
"--appdata" "S:\ServerAppData"to ImagePath data, where “S:” disk is Cluster Shared Volume
- Run Failover Cluster Manager and configure Generic Service Role (select Resilio Connect Console service on Select Service step)
- Start Resilio Connect Console Role
- Open Resilio Connect Console in browser by IP address of Resilio Connect Console Role
Known limitations and peculiarities
- Load-balancing cluster is not supported.
- The node where Agents keep the storage must be always available. Switching it off and on (disconnecting and reconnecting) is not supported.
- When failover occurs, Agents may 'forget' about part of the indexed files. These files will be indexed again by the active node.
- If failover occurs to the node where MC is installed, Linux agents take 15 minutes to reconnect to the Console.