One of the use cases to illustrate the solution is managing user profiles in a VDI environment.
Basic architecture involves centralized storage, usually a fast RAID, which keeps the user Profiles and from which the Profiles are delivered to remote computers. Depending on the chosen topology, those might be multiple computers, but usually, these are a few load-balanced servers from which users reach out for files via SMB.
Challenges that Resilio Connect faces with user profiles are the following:
1) they are usually very large;
2) they frequently change as users stay logged in;
3) they remain locked (while in use) for Resilio Connect Agent, or the Agent lacks access permissions;
4) Agents need to work with several such files at a moment.
Below is the suggested configuration of Agent settings that will help to eliminate or at least improve the narrow places mentioned above. Add these parameters to the Agent's Profile (don't confuse it with the users' Profile in VDI) and restart the Agents.
Starting with version 3.2, please use the preset for VDI.
For Resilio Connect installs before 3.2, please contact support for assistance in upgrading.
Containerized profile best practices with Resilio Connect
- Use Dynamic Profiles
- Profile Mode 1 (Read / Write) this will help overcome locked file complications.
- RW Disk will help prevent file locks and the need for file delays.
- Exclude RW.VHD and RW.VHDX from Resilio Connect
- DO NOT use cloud cache and profile mode 1
- Do not use an office container unless the use case explicitly needs it
- Keep office profile in single profile container
- Cloud cache intermittently accesses the files and can cause conflicts it is not recommended to use Resilio Connect and cloud cache simultaneously without careful consideration.
- If using cloud cache along with Resilio Connect, exclude the lock and meta tags. Cloud cache replicates these on its own.
- Paste the following lines into the "File and folder filter" parameter in the job profile:
- If synchronizing FSLogix log files, set file delay to 1 minute
- Disabling the file sync delay in the Resilio Connect Profile, the following settings must be configured on FSLogix in GPO or Registry
en-us/fslogix/reference- configuration-settings?tabs= profiles#lockedretrycountLockedRetryInterval
LockedRetryCount to 6
This would try every 5 seconds up to 6 times, giving you a 30-second grace period.
- FSLogix VHD Disk Compaction
- Resilio Connect compression needs to be turned off
- Differential sync will cause no problems with compaction.
Helpful Tweaks to keep profiles small
- Use Dynamic Profiles
- Set profile size limits
- Setup Profile exclusions
- Setup outlook download limits
- Set up a VHD(X) maintenance window.
- Mounting profiles and cleaning out data that does not need to be there.
- Use logoff scripts to help clear bloat.
- Compact profiles